The Port of Benton is in the process of assembling and displaying the Triton sail near the barge slip in the Technology & Business Campus.
The Triton submarine was commissioned in 1959 and was the first to circumnavigate the world under water. The Triton is the only non-Russian submarine powered by two nuclear reactors. The sail is the large tower-like structure located on top of most submarines. It housed the conning tower, periscope, radar and communication masts. The Port is displaying the Triton sail in north Richland in recognition of all the decommissioned reactor cores shipped from Bremerton, off-loaded at the Port’s barge slip, transported and stored at the Hanford site.