November 1, 2023
RICHLAND, Wash. – On Nov. 4, Port of Benton marks its 65th anniversary of delivering economic opportunities and enhancing the quality of life for the Tri-Cities community.
The Port was established on Nov. 4, 1958, following the transfer of ownership of Richland from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to the citizens. Previously, Richland was the property of the federal government as part of a World War II secret mission called the Manhattan Project.
The original designated Port of Benton district was 290 acres called Camp Hanford – the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers transferred the land to the Port in 1959 (now known as the Technology and Business Campus in Richland).
Today, the port’s district encompasses 11 property sites totaling 2,756 acres covering two-thirds of Benton County including north Richland, Benton City and Prosser. Companies in port facilities and properties employ over 3,000 people and generate more than $600 million in revenue each year, which represents 5% of Benton County’s economy.
Since its formation, Port of Benton has fostered economic development, providing development sites and facilities that support the growth of start-up businesses to global corporations, and bring high-quality jobs to the port’s district and the surrounding region.
Throughout its 65-year history, the port has acquired land, buildings, general aviation airports in Prosser and Richland, a Columbia River barge complex and a rail network. It has also developed and continually improved properties to attract value-added agriculture, industrial, aviation, advanced manufacturing, clean energy and other industries to the port district.
Select History Highlights
Read more about Port of Benton’s history at portofbenton.com/history.
Public Information Officer